István Szép – Design your ultimate 2D game characters with Inkscape!
Simple and fast method and character blueprints to create versatile vector characters with a free open-source program!
What makes a good game?
A good game needs a great story. It needs nice overall graphics. Engaging gameplay.
And it also needs well designed characters!
This course is exactly about that! When you are developing your own game, and you are not a designer, you will find creating a hero for your game challenging!
During the course we learn
- the theory of character design
- what makes a good character
- my 6 step character design method
- to create a character sheet
- to prepare our characters for animation
- to animate our characters
And we will do all this in Inkscape, this epic free software! It is a very versatile vector tool, which makes designing characters much more easier and faster! Get in on inkscape.org!
Apart of the above, I will share character blueprints with you! These are showing how I design a character with Inkscape from scratch. We practice different skills with each character. We create character sheet from one, and basic animation from the other.
Your task will be to practice and create character sheet and basic animation for all the characters, or your very own game hero/enemy!
I will also share tips and tricks in the course. In these short lessons I usually want to help you to work faster and create better designed figures.
Mind that this is only the first version of the course! I will add several new character blueprints – and listen to the need of my students – and I will keep the course updated. My goal is to have about 10 blueprints.
I don’t want to talk about myself. If you want to know me better, read my instructor bio. But I can tell you one thing: I am here to teach. When you ask me, I will help and will find a solution to your problem the best I can!
Introduction and warming up!
- Introduction (2:23)
- Warming up: create a sword and a shield (6:40)
The theory of character design
- What makes a good character? (6:15)
- My proven character design process (4:45)
- Get inspired! (5:21)
- The importance of sketching (2:52)
- Color theory in character design (6:58)
- Character proportion basics (5:26)
Game character animation in Inkscape
- Robot character blueprint (11:39)
- Animation in Inkscape – Part 1. (6:34)
- Animation in Inkscape – Part 2 (9:51)
Design characters in Inkscape
- Ninja character blueprint (15:41)
- Skeleton warrior character blueprint (11:40)
- RPG warrior character blueprint – Part 1. (12:35)
- RPG warrior character blueprint – Part 2. (12:51)
- RPG warrior character blueprint – Part 3. (17:12)
Additional tips and tricks about character design
- Modular character (4:52)